Friday, May 27, 2005

Mid-Afternoon Rave

My department at work is crazy. The HIV Prevention Departments at most AIDS Service Organizations are made up of people who are versitile, open-minded...and let's face it...a little different. We joke around about how we can never go to corporate jobs because we'd get fired for sexual harrassment or innappropriate behavior in the office (did I mention I'm the department manager? I wouldn't want to transition to a job where I didn't have a jelly dildo on my desk).

Currently, I have a radio with a disco ball over my desk. We decided to have a little afternoon rave, complete with sausage, saurcraut, hummus, and a tape from a recent drag show from the G-Spot Club. People from other departments are stopping by to ask if this is where the party's at.

Prevention is always where the party's at.

We are a diverse (literally, we look like a Beneton ad), youthful, wild, street-wise little group of outreach workers with emotionally and physically taxing jobs. We laugh and joke a lot, we also sometimes cry. We do the majority of our work on the streets or in clubs. We NEED to operate as a family unit or we couldn't do our jobs. We're perceived by many as screwing around in the office...but they change their tunes once they do a ride-along with us.

We're very passionate about what we do, and we come together in the office to support each other and blow off steam. This is vital so that we can better serve our clients.

1 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

It must be nice to be able to chill out like that every once in a while. And you are a super cool boss! I wish I could have been there...I would have shaken my bum with the best of them.

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home