Monday, June 20, 2005

Christian Bale IS Batman

I saw Batman: Begins over the weekend...and it makes Keaton, Clooney, and especially Kilmer look like a bunch of jackasses. I loved this movie...and I'm not usually all about the action flicks.

For one, it was filmed so differently than the other batmans, which, let's be honest, were a little cheesey. It was darker, more creative, and more dramatic (the sets were so clearly made to look grungy and run down...it reminded me of the set-up at Six Flags before the Batman rollercoaster).

It was realistic (as much as a movie about a super hero in a bat suit can be)...it was the very beginning of his life as a crime fighter, and he made a lot of clumsy errors and mistakes that made him look like he might not cut it as the rescuer of Gotham.

Christian Bale was perfection (of course I mean this only in the sense that he was great for the part and excellent acting...had NOTHING to do with his actual asthetics). But seriously, his facial expressions changed depending on whether he was Bruce Wayne or Batman...making him look like two different people. He was delightfully slimey at parts as the billionaire playboy.

And a comment on Katie Holmes, whom I actually like. Ok, I should say that I really liked her before this Tom Cruise debacle that could possibly take down both of their careers. She was great for the roll, slightly icy, but I think as a prosecutor she was suposed to emit that feeling. I really wish she wouldn't become a Scientologist (but I also wish Dawson's Creek were still on...we can't always get what we want), and I really enjoyed that Tom got sprayed with water during an interview.

On the way out of the movie, we were basking in the unrealistic possiblity that Batman: "Begins" could mean they'd remake all the other movies with Bale. Sigh.

1 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

i TOTALLY agree. Bale is a fabulous batman, and it was a great movie. I'm not a huge fan of the batman syndicate, but this one was very good. We saw it this weekend also.

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home