Thursday, August 17, 2006

A Step Back In Time...

Our internet is out at work. Yes, that's what I said. This catastrophe has all but halted our productivity. That may be a little far fetched, but the case managers are seriously hindered in serving their clients. They've worked out staggered schedules working from home, but it's a real inconvenience.

What has this situation meant to me? It's held me back from writing on my blog!!

I often used my lunch to write a quick post, but now I'm checking my emails from home and it doesn't leave much time for blogging. I try to limit my computer time as much as possible...ok, so I have very little time when I'm actually home and can use the computer without completely shutting out The Boyfriend.

I have to admit that it has been kind of an eye-opener. When I was in college, we didn't use email or internet for anything...and I graduated in 1997!! Not that long ago! This makes me realize how reliant we've become. Don't get me wrong, I love being able to communicate over the internet "tubes" (that was a shout out to CR), but it also weakens our actual communication skills. We now have to CALL people if we want to set up a meeting or RSVP for a program, and that takes, like, so much time.

Perhaps I'll meditate and put some good vibes out for our internet to be restored (I think that just might bring some iffy Karma my direction...maybe I'll just wait patiently).

Anyway, a couple updates:
  • I am home today because I have extra hours and I feel completely run down. I've been working kind of hard lately and my body told me to stay home so I can continue to do so. I should also mention that I'm feeling particularly fulfilled at work, which is usually when I'm working hard - go figure.
  • The Boyfriend is on the home stretch of his thesis (something about computational biology, hidden Markov models, genetics...I assure you, I KNOW this stuff). He's holding up as best as can be expected. I keep meaning to send his parents a quick email to let them know he's doing fine.
  • I should be working on my Law School applications and personal statement right now. I can't get the applications to work on our computer, and I don't want to write the personal statement. Bah!
Alright, I'm going to go pick some tomatoes, then start the personal statement.

1 Comments:

Blogger stc said...

I begin to go a bit stir crazy if more than 24 hours pass since I've last been online.

But our reliance on technology could be way more serious than that. We had a major power outage in Ontario a couple of years ago, and I learned that there would be no running water in the city of Toronto if the power stayed out for only 48 hours.

No water for a city of 3 million people? Imagine just how ugly things could get. Without technology, we would revert to a state of savagery very rapidly.

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home