Friday, June 16, 2006

The LSAT

I hated it.

I got to Forest Park Community College around noon, ready to take this damnable test. I got in last minute calls to my mom and The Boyfriend, then started eating Sprees to calm me down (most people are not aware that on most occasions, I have a roll or two of Sprees in my purse...mmm, candy).

The proctors were Ms. Crabby McCrabberson and Ms. Snotty O'Snottyhan. They yelled, sighed, rolled their eyes and said we were not allowed to leave the room to go to the bathroom..."you're not children, you can hold it". That's what they thought (not the part about not holding it, the part about us not being children).

I don't believe they were prepared for the childlike discord that broke out after they took away everyone's non-beeping timepieces. The rules said they were allowed, but Ms. McC chose to go against the rules. We (and by we, I mean the people whose watches/timers had been snatched out of their sweating hands...I was not one of those people because that's just one more thing to keep track of) hooted and hollered that their rights were being infringed upon. She wasn't hearin' it. When she got to a section detailing that WE WERE entitled to them, and some test-takers asked for them back, she responded with, "Go get them? Oh, I can't leave you in here unattended". Did she understand that she was surrounded by 40 wannabe attorneys? She had a hard time from then on out.

Ok, so my personal experience. I was seated next to a man that weighed around 300 lbs. (no joke, that's not an exaggeration), he had problems breathing. During the entire test he sounded like a cross between snoring and an asthma attack. Occasionally I looked over just to make sure he didn't have his hands around his neck to signal that he couldn't breath. To my right was some spazzy kid who got yelled at for wearing headphones and was tapping his pencil on his foot. I wanted to put my hands around HIS throat to MAKE SURE he couldn't breath.

But I have to tell you, with all the chaos and confusion, I got kind of relaxed. I'd had a minor asthma incident before going in, but watching Ms. McC grapple with 22-year-old snotty college kids kind of got my mind off what I was there for. My breathing regulated, I relaxed (meaning I stopped tapping my pencil on my foot).

The test itself was horrific. We didn't start until 1:35 (we were scheduled to start at 12:30) and got out at 6:00 pm. By then, The Boyfriend was blowing up my phone trying to find out where I was (I'd casually told him I'd be out by 3 or 3:30). He was worried that I hadn't felt good about my performance and was off by myself feeling sad. He's so cute. :)

Afterward, I felt terrible about how I'd done...until I found out the ungraded experimental section was Section #2 (I'd guessed on 15 out of 25 on that part). Woo-hoo!

So now I've downloaded applications to Washington University and Saint Louis University. I haven't looked into when I'll get my test score, the importance of it kind of slipped away. I know my grades/scores won't be what get me in either of those schools...it's all about the personal statement. This personal statement is going to have to knock them over...and it will.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your writing ability is awesome and hilarious. It makes the reader feel as if they are right in the place where you are discribing. I hope you did well on the test, but if you did not do as well as you would have liked to do, it seems like you have many other talents. Oh to have so many interests and capabilities.

3:19 PM  
Blogger stc said...

Pusher is right, that was a vivid description of your experience.

If your score turns out badly, at least the day was memorable!

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope your scores come back high!

Madalene

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carolyn,

You're awesome. I love reading your blog when I should be working. Some day, I will get fired for reading your blog. You had better be a lawyer to represent me in the wrongful dismissal case that I will file.

Chris

1:52 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Chris,

I love that you enjoy reading my blog...however, I hate that you will require me to represent you in your wrongful termination case. :)

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I should give you a retainer now. You may have to represent me in a "wrongful death" suit if one more person shares about there f%$#ing cat or f%^*ing dog in a meeting.

-Chris

1:24 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

I'll be sure to mention one of our kitty-cats the next time we're at the same meeting. :) You're cold-hearted...animals are family members.

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home