Monday, May 02, 2005

Dysfunctional Wedding of the Century

I am deeply disturbed by the upcoming nuptuals of Mary Kay Letoureau and Vili Fualaau. I guess the wedding (which I find horrific) is just the fuel for what is bothering me. Why is the American media making it into a love story? From a promotions point of view I understand...creepy sex stories sell...we're intrigued by the pure icky factor. But by making it into a viable news story, a pedophile is reaping financial benefits from it.

Going back, I was totally blown away by the story initially. When Mary Kay's trial was in the media, I was grossed out by this deeply troubled woman who slept with her 12-year old student. How could a grown woman with children almost his age stomach being physically intimate with a child? The media was fascinated by her, possibly because she was attractive and so unapologetic of her love for him.

Their first child is born, ew. She's rightfully locked up and a second is born. Her urges to sleep with this boy is so strong that she has to be incarcerated for 7 years. If this were a man having sex with a 12 year-old female student, would he get 7 years? No, he would be forever a pedolphile and rapist, rotting in a cell for far longer, making new "friends" in the pen that hate baby-rapists.

After she got out, I was hopeful that the story would go away. She's now 42, he's 21...and they get back together!!!!! I picture a toxic vine that grabbed ahold of this young man, making it impossible for him to move on, to be in a healthy relationship with a woman his own age. Throughout anything I've read, it always mentions that he didn't graduate from high school and he's unemployed. Trauma does that.

So now they're finally together...an American love story. A rapist and her victim, their two children...ah, the family's reunited. They sold the rights to their wedding to Entertainment Tonight. Good thing, after all, neither of them have jobs.

1 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn said...

The glorious thing about a blog is that I can express my own opinion and you can express yours. I don't have to be happy for someone that I fundamentally and morally disagree with. By not being happy for them, I'm in no way negatively impacting their lives.

My blog serves as an on-line journal for me...you don't have to agree with me, and I appreciate comments whether we're on the same page or not.

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home