Monday, January 09, 2006

And So we Do Our Familiar Dance Again...

My mother and I have had a familiar pattern in our relationship for decades (that's slightly dramatic...I've only been alive for 3 decades...and the first 2 I was pretty much still under their influence). It begins with me getting a raspy cough, and for weeks she'll recommend I call my doctor.

Each time this happens, I wait for what may seem too long (it may seem too long because I end up with a respiratory infection). My reasoning is this:

1. I always feel like if I do my holistic bullshit remedies, that some day my body will catch on and respond.
2. I hate going to the doctor...mostly because it seems like a waste of time and co-pay.
3. In actuality, my doctor most likely wouldn't treat me for a mild cough that mother has diagnosed as an infection (perhaps if he realized her genius he would...but they've not met).

And so here we are...me, with a temperature of 101, a fever, a cough, and chest pains. I called today because last night it finally caught up with me...it took me down.

So yes, she was right, and she shall always be right in the future when this happens again (oh yes, it WILL happen again...probably many times again).

Despite the fact that I never follow her advice, I do appreciate her persistence, and that she gave me the complete collection of Sex and the City for Christmas...at least I have something fun to watch. I made it thru Season 2 today!

3 Comments:

Blogger starbender said...

Awww...,
Sorry U'r under the weather!
Don't fool with a flu, not any
more...,
not with bird-flu going around.
:)

9:36 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I'm sorry you feel so bad. a cough combined with asthma always seems to have bad effects in the end. I'm glad to hear "sex in the city" is serving you well, though. I hope you get into the doc today.

11:15 AM  
Blogger stc said...

I hope you're better soon!

I tend to agree that there's little point in going to see the doctor with a little cough. They can't treat it until after it becomes an infection, anyway. In the meantime, you give your body a chance to throw it off.

Maybe you can do a follow-up post on your favourite Sex In the City episode. I won't be able to reciprocate, since I've never watched it. But I'd be interested in reading about your choice.
Q

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home