Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Outside Sounds

I've started to notice unusual sounds at night. We've always had noise from I-44 and freight trains, which have become like soothing auditory blankets at night. We've even acclimated to nightly police, fire and ambulance sirens speeding down Watson or Hampton - plus the occasional police helicopter. In the last few years, the macaw across the street has joined in at intervals CAW! CAW! CAW!

A couple new ones have begun mingling with the usual. Are they new or am I just noticing them more? Is it that I awaken every three hours to go to the bathroom? One is a church bell on the hour. How did I not notice this before? It's undoubtedly been there the entire 8 years I've been in this house.

And then there's the rooster. Yes, the other noises, such as the highway, trains, and sirens imply we are in fact in an urban area. And we are. The City of St. Louis allows up to three chickens per yard. I think their flexibility is terrific, and it's extra considerate when you acknowledge how many immigrants and refugees live in the city. Many of these populations have come from countries where it's quite common to have farm animals in their yards.

So now we regularly year the crow of a rooster from about a block away. I feel like I'm getting used to it. But did you know that roosters don't just crow in the morning? No, they pretty much do it at all hours.

3 Comments:

Blogger Zeke, maria, and Kye said...

I have a friend/client who raises chickens! I have no idea where she lives; she had to get approval from neighbors and a permit to have them. Anyway her family was just featured on one of our local news channels, “City Chickens” what a coincidence! I get annoyed when the dogs next door bark too much…a rooster may put me over the edge! lol

11:02 AM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

It was kind of funny, but the Today show just did a story on city chickens too. Steve has mentioned having a couple, but he wouldn't want them for eggs and there will be NO slaughtering in our back yard!

12:12 PM  
Blogger Zeke, maria, and Kye said...

No joke! You think City people slaughter them??? Man, I'm naive. I just assumed they were ALL for eggs. The people I know would never! They’re pets that help with breakfast.

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home