Monday, July 18, 2005

I REALLY Want to Punch Someone in the Face

I finally got off my ass this morning and went to the gym...which was my old routine...and it worked well for me.

I did some cardio, lifted weights, showered, and went to work. At my desk, as usual, I ate plain yogurt, a hard-boiled egg, and some fruit.

And then I slowly wound my way up to the front desk...lurking down the hall, making my move to the coffee machine. And then the door bursts open and our new, highly enthusiastic program coordinator comes in...bringing with him morning sunshine.

I'm distracted from my mission and return to the department (after carefully weighing my responsibilities...coffee/train my new guy, coffee/train my new guy). We get back to our department and start chatting about our weekend...and I snap. I tell him I really need to go back out there and get some coffee real quick. He has a fabulous idea, why don't we quit drinking coffee together? I ponder this idea, and consider that I'm trying to get back to being healthy (and there ain't nothin' healthy about the amount of sugar I use...not sweet n Low, not Splenda...pure, beautiful, white sugar, and let's not forget the non-dairy creamer with partially hydrogenated blahblahblah).

I grudgingly agree. Well, kinda. He's still needling that I haven't totally agreed. I told him that I need a little room for World's Fair Donuts on occasion. I also tell him that I might crash and become unpleasant...which could negatively impact him as his supervisor.

I have never considered myself a coffee drinker. I occasionally dabbled, and often felt like the little kid drinking out of her parent's coffee cup. As life became busier, my coffee consumption increased, while my hours asleep decreased. While I've only been partaking in this new habit for 6 months to a year, it's clearly had more impact than I realized ...at least on days when I go to the gym at 6 am.

Moral of the story: I will take baby steps to healthier habits, and I am definitely not a casual coffee drinker.

1 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

I don't think you need to quit coffee altogether. But understanding the extent of your need for it is a good thing. Will moderation work? Thanks for your comment on the car!

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home