Sunday, April 30, 2006

Ka-Bammmm!!!

I got into a car accident on Friday night. I feel really down about it for a couple reasons. Not only was my car totaled, but I had just paid it off in February. Additionally, I REALLY loved that car. I fell in love with it when I first saw it. It was the equivalent of when a pet looks like their owner...only we're talking about a car. We complimented each other.

The good news: The accident wasn't my fault.

So here's the story. The Boyfriend and I were coming back from Trainwreck, a sportsbar that serves bison burgers that we crave like wild animals smelling blood...only we don't smell blood, we just kind of fantacize about them.

We were on Manchester Road in Maplewood. A couple cars ahead of us braked hard, then the next, then the next...and we (I) squeeled my tires. Whoa, that was close...relief washed over me as my hands began tingling with adrenaline. BANG!! The car behind us hadn't seen any of these cars breaking and hit us going at least 35 mph.

I was in complete shock. The Boyfriend's first reaction was to turn to me and ask if I was ok. I nodded. I emerged from the crumpled vehicle and crunched through glass to the man who had hit us.

"Are you ok, sir?"

He nods, still in his vehicle.

He gets out after a couple minutes and asks if we're ok. We all were (mostly, I had a quivering in my spine, but I would deal with that later). Everyone was so nice. Nobody was yelling or blaming, we all clearly were thankful that nobody was seriously injured. Four cars were involved. Everyone but us drove away. My car's little heart had stopped. The key wouldn't even turn on the dash lights.

The police and tow truck driver were bickering over who had to drive us home.

"We really don't live very far. I'd prefer not to walk," I mention, hoping they'd realize we were standing in the rain, shaking in shock and carrying most of my worldly belongings that had been in my car.

Finally a cruiser takes us home.

First call: My parents (reflex)

Second call: My insurance company

Then we went to the Emergency Room. I'd become confused and lethargic. The ER was a circus side-show. Every person in the city who had chills or a cold was there for treatment. After I was unable to name my state of birth, they "fast-tracked" me. I came home with muscle relaxers (which should be kicking in soon, thank you) and an anti-inflammatory. I'm sure I'd feel much worse if I hadn't gone in. That first night would have been quite fitful sleep if I weren't practically in a medically-induced coma (they also gave me Adavan (sedative) the first night...I declined a prescription...it didn't seem completely necessary).

I'm feeling a little better. I'm only taking the muscle relaxers as needed, mostly at night). The thing I keep coming back to is that I'm so glad the boyfriend was with me (if he'd been injured I may not be saying that). Just having someone there to support me made me feel everything would be ok. It might even be kind of fun to pick out a car together like grownups. That will be the most couple-y thing I've ever done...besides living together.

So, any suggestions on a car?
Let me help by giving some requirements:
  • Fuel-efficient (perhaps a hybrid?)
  • NO high performance sport tires (that basically means that they are expensive with low performance)
  • Under $20,000
  • Safe
  • 5-Speed stick

4 Comments:

Blogger stc said...

No suggestions on a car. I'm strictly pragmatic about these things — tend to buy old beaters, probably because I've never had the money to buy a car that makes my heart go pitter-patter.

Mostly, I'm just glad you and the BF are alright. Was the blip about what state you were born in attributable to shock? I assume it had nothing to do with muscle spasms!

11:17 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Oh my goodness! I'm glad you are doing better now. It sounds like you had some head injury--has this sidetracked kaplan a bit?

And I'm glad BF is alright. Amazing that he wasn't injured too. Thank goodness for small favors.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Welcome to my blog! (although I have some concerns that you have a secret life...Stella? Where did Stella come from?) :)

A free mini-van...including marble board...tempting.

But alas, my deadbeat insurance company has decided to fix my junkheap car. I guess $7,000 in damage is an acceptable threshold. I should probably go ahead and start looking for a new car for when my junkheap dies.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Liz,

I didn't get much studying done for Kaplan over the weekend, but I'm determined to get back on track. I went to class last night and today my neck is SO MUCH better than yesterday. We were all really lucky.

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home