Tuesday, April 04, 2006

They Don't Make It Easy...

I finally built up the nerve to ask for accomodations for a cognitive disability for the LSAT in June. It took some time and swallowing my pride before I realized that it just made sense.

I'm not doing it to get preferential treatment. The only section I need more time on is the Logic Games. I can't stay focused on the rules long enough to know the logic involved to answer the questions.

I saw my headshrinker yesterday and he agreed. I asked him if he thought it would be unfair for me to have this extra time. He assured me that I'm entitled to these accomodations by law and I should take them. He also feels I should be in a room by myself to avoid distractions.

So, we've established that there are laws to even the playing field, I had the forms that we both needed to fill out...and here's the snag.

In order to get these conditions, I have to take a long battery of tests performed by a state-certified investigator, which costs over $500.00. I don't have enough time to get this done. I don't want to spend the money either. All my doctor can provide is that I've been treated by him for almost 5 years, how he reached a diagnosis, my prognosis and treatment.

In summery: I honestly could do much better on the test with a little help, but I'm willing to go without (that's really my only option at this point). As my headshrinker said, "These conditions are important so you can show them what you can REALLY do".

I guess I feel a little sad that it didn't work out.

2 Comments:

Blogger stc said...

Isn't it expensive to take the LSAT text? If you fail, and have to take it over again, how much will it cost you? Maybe it would be cheaper just to pay the $500 and get the extra time on the logic questions.

However you work it out, I hope you succeed marvelously!

2:05 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

The LSAT is only $118. Plus, I need the paperwork in within a month...I couldn't get the tests run by then. :(

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home