Sunday, April 16, 2006

Buswrap Social Marketing Campaign

For the past 2 years I've been working on a really exciting and innovative social marketing campaign. It has also crushed my will to live. I'm not getting into the politics of it, but the process was not nearly as smooth as I would have liked. I guess when you spend as much as you would on a car, it involves more than a phone call...but years of gut-wrenching negotiations and counter-negotiations. Anyway, here are some pictures of part of what I do (not really what I DO, but what I'm privileged to do when we have extra money that we need to spend.

The idea behind this campaign was to promote pride, safer sex behaviors, and wrap it in a glossy, urban-chic design.

The male side (first photo) originally featured 3 African American men in basketball gear and uses a "Real Men"-type slogan pertaining to using condoms and making a difference in their community. We had some "issues" with the bus company not wanting all men of color, saying it would point a finger at a particular segment of the population. I countered their request with a pointed question about them not allowing empowering visions of black men, but they had run a sign with a white supremacist organization on another bus. According to them, as soon as they realized what they stood for, the information was removed. Whatever...do your research. I refused to add a white person (as I was asked) because it dilutes the message, making men of color feel like the message isn't targeted specifically to them. I preferred no men instead of a compromise I didn't feel good about.

The female side (second photo) features one woman from our agency (the one in the middle), and one from the city health department (far left). The message is a little different, with the focus being on preserving and promoting one's future through responsible sexual health. I love this side. It's girly and elegant, but also stands out on the streets.

The back (last photo, my favorite part) is a merging of the two styles. A man and a woman's hand comes together to hold a condom.

We got a really good deal for the amount of time we bought. It's running on the Kingshighway and Natural Bridge route in North St. Louis City for 16 weeks.

I've had friends call me to say they saw the bus, and our testing appointments have SIGNIFICANTLY increased. I'm really happy with it, and it's getting our name out there where it really needs to be.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way cool, Carolyn! I like the back side best, it puts it out there (who knows, maybe it'll start conversations in cars following the bus)? Way to stand your ground with the research to back it up on the picture of all black men, too.
Madalene

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bus wrap is way cool! I saw the bus down by Union Station on the way to the new ball park.

-Chris (no longer anonymous since my cover was blown)

10:20 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Looks and sounds like it will be an effective marketing campaign. The increase in testing scheduling is a good evaluation data point!

11:22 AM  
Blogger elanflux said...

Damn, I see the mother ship has left you with us...

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home