Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The Vase

I wasn't sure if I was going to write about this or not - mostly because it's awkward and uncomfortable.

Ok, so basically, through NO FAULT OF MY OWN, two dozen long-stemmed roses and a stuffed bear were delivered to me at my office. The note said something about "Thanks for everything, call me soon". The awkward part is that they were not from The Boyfriend (thank goodness...anyone that knows me AT ALL would know that I wouldn't be into such a gross overcompensation. I'm more of a colorful wild flower girl).

They were actually from someone I'd come in contact with through work (I have to be kind of vague on this part). He also happens to be a world boxing champion. Basically, I think this person has been training in St. Louis, and may have misconstrued my helpfulness for something more. Since I maintain strict professional boundaries, I've felt innocent during this whole debacle.

From the very beginning of this charade, I kept The Boyfriend abreast of the situation...from the creepy phone message, to the request that I call said creeper after I get "a package". The package was worse than I'd expected, to say the least. The volunteers at the front desk were oohing and ahhing over them as I came out. I groaned, "No, no, no...oh man, no".

I told The Boyfriend immediately...these types of things are best kept in the wide open! He laughed with me (nervously) and said he was willing to fight for my honor (yes, let's all recall he is a scientist...a very sexy one, but a fighter he probably is not. But what more could I ask for, he vowed to "bloody this dudes fists and become one beat-up little white guy". My hero). Ok, for real, he's not a fighter, and I wouldn't be with someone that is. He responded exactly the way I'd hope my partner would respond...with patience, humor, and a tiny bit of jealousy. :)

I did the only thing that I could do (besides call the flower sender and very specifically set a boundary...which I did). I had to turn the ugly situation into an inside joke between me and The Boyfriend...something that we'll look back on and laugh. I made a new card that read,

"Dear The Boyfriend (but with his real name), Congratulations on getting a post doc position in Dr. Insert name's lab. I'm so proud of all your hard work and look forward to spending the rest of our lives together. Love, Carolyn"

A co-worker, C, and I sped to The Boyfriend's office, raced to the lab, and deposited the flowers-of-all-that-is-unpure with his advisor...quickly asking him to deliver them to him.

He called my cell phone before I could get out of the building. I told him we were making our escape, then waited for him to come downstairs to give me a hug. Some of the women at work thought it was a risky move. They felt it would rub it in his face. But they don't know him.

His response? "Well played. And hey, I kind of like the vase...can we keep it?"

And that, my friends, will be the vase that we giggle over each time it comes out for flowers out of our yard. That will be the vase that I regifted flowers to The Boyfriend in.

3 Comments:

Blogger stc said...

That is a great story. And the regifting idea — risky but brilliant!

Its success depended on you making the correct assessment of your boyfriend … and obviously you made the right call. I'm impressed!

2:37 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Yes, very risky. Since the beginning of our relationship, I've felt we know each other really well. It's beneficial in sticky situations such as this.

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice that you made good use out of those beautiful flowers. You and your boyfriend sound like you understand each other well. Congratulations that you found each other.

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home