Sunday, June 11, 2006

What I Want To Be When I Grow Up


When I was a kid, I think I had a pretty clear vision of "what I wanted to be when I grew up". I don't know if I articulated it to my parents and teachers, or if I put an appropriate picture on it to go undetected as a freakshow.

There are three things I remember wanting to become. The first is a dinosaur (actually a brontosaurus). If I'd thought it through a little more, I'd have realized that brontosaurus' are really fat and have big asses. That's the exact opposite of where I would have wanted to be as an adult. They seemed pretty peaceful, had graceful necks, and I think I appreciated that they were studied and had a place in history (yes, I did think like that when I was young, creepy).

The next thing I wanted to be was Joan Jett. That's obviously not an option, probably less likely than a dinosaur (my ass has gotten to giant creature-like proportions at different points in time). Joan Jett is way too cool for me to emulate (and I've tried "living like a rock star" at different points in time and it didn't go so well). Jett has her own place in history that I respect. She was a hard rockin' female at a time when there weren't too many to choose from. She was and is known for her skill on the guitar, as well as for just not caring if boys like her or not.

With these first two options unrealistic, I defer to my third: to be an attorney. And so the time has arrived, the LSAT is tomorrow. I'm nervous, scared, and disbelieving that I actually took some action towards making that dream come true. I studied all day Friday, all day (and night) yesterday, and today I am doing whatever I want to do. So far, that's meant downloading Joan Jett and other 80's techno remixes.

Seems the whole Joan Jett thing is coming full circle.

4 Comments:

Blogger stc said...

Awesome! You rock in my estimation!

All the best to you on the LSAT. I imagine you'll be the kind of attorney who works tirelessly on behalf of marginalized people. The world needs more lawyers like that, not the kind of lawyer who help CEOs get off the hook for their white collar crimes. So you know I'm rooting for you!

5:43 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Thanks! I can always count on my pal from Canada to give me words of encouragement. I'm pretty nervous...but I think I'm ready.

I'll report back soon on how it goes.

11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with your test. You seem like the type who would do well on it. I will be thinking about you today.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Hey Pusher, you've been MIA for a while. Good to hear from you again.

Thank you for the positive thoughts...they all help! All that's left to do it eat breakfast, get my pencils in my purse, put a couple songs on my mp3 player (so I don't get negatively affected by those crazy kids during break) and drive 1 mile to the testing site. Oh dear.

Thanks again!

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home