Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Oh Yes, He's Much More Than a Scientist...

The Boyfriend announced to me several months before Valentine's Day that he was making something for me for the occasion. With my birthday being the day AFTER Valentine's Day, he understands my deep seated hatred for the "multi-gift" (for example - one CD to cover both occasions, flowers with a card that says Happy B-day AND will you be my Valentine...to which I would reply an emphatic "no"). Don't get me wrong, I don't expect an elaborate display, but even a nice card and flowers for V-day, and then a gift for my birthday that anyone at any other time of year would receive.

Back to the project. I was curious and a little apprehensive about this creative endeavor - especially since it was being made of polymer clay - something he had never worked with before. I've always known he was creative, but I didn't have any tangible evidence.

I watched his process as he purchased a toaster oven, texturizing equipment, a pasta press, clay, dyes, etc. I also noticed bags from places such as Art Mart and Hobby Lobby making their way into the house. What WAS this crazy man of science doing in our basement?!?!

The outcome was amazing. I'm not sure why, but I cried when he gave it to me. Maybe because it was so beautiful, or maybe because it looks like something I would love - and he designed and created the entire thing.
Project Description: It's a book made of tablets of polymer clay that's been dyed to resemble jade. The book is bound with rope and can be added to in the future.
The first photo is the cover. First he bought a stamp of a Mulan poem. He stamped the clay (he says it took him sandwiching the clay with metal and standing on it), painted the tablet with red acrylic paint, then wiped off the extra, which left only the paint in the characters.
The second photo is of the inside. The left pictures The Boyfriend and his father washing his first dog in a garbage can, the right is me and my dad carving a pumpkin (wasn't my dad cute?). My mom and sister both knew about the gift because he had to contact my mom to get the picture. I thought it was strange that she called and asked for his phone number, but I didn't connect what he was making and my mom at the time.
The third photo is the back and is stamped with bamboo branches.
These pictures really don't do this project justice. It's so beautiful and I was very touched that he put that much work into it.
I felt a little inadequate giving him a duct tape wallet that I'd made (although to be fair to - he told me he wanted one, and he was really excited that it was hand made...but I did buy one from thinkgeek.com just in case my version didn't work out).

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whew, I hope MaryP doesn't see this post. Your boyfriend raises the bar awfully high!

Coincidentally, MaryP's birthday is on Feb. 16. And I would never give her one gift to cover two occasions!

1:53 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

It was kind of funny. The Boyfriend was in lab finishing up the binding and some of the women there saw it. They were like, "nice...yeah, I got a SpongeBob SquarePants card".

2:05 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Hold on tight-- you've got a good one! Very cool and beautiful gift.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

You've got a pretty creative on on your hands also. :)

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home