Sunday, January 14, 2007

I'm So Tired of Putting Up a Wall

Ok, LITERALLY, I'm tired of putting up a wall.

I tossed the idea around with my pal, L, to put up some sort of door and frame/drywall a section of our basement to create a studio space so that the kitties cannot contribute to our projects. Plus, I go through phases of desperation to build something tangible. This was definitely tangible.

L and I, combined, possibly hold all the knowledge there is in the world. That may actually be a gross overestimation, but we have yet to find a project or task that we could not accomplish together. We also get along really well while doing them.

So we set out at 11:30 to see if we could take measurements and get supplies to raise a wall and hang a door. We went to the Habitat for Humanity Restore (it's a store that sells used construction materials, with all the proceeds going to build Habitat homes) to find a door. After 30 minutes, we settled on a fabulous, and not just because it was $30.00, solid wood door with a double paned window.

On to Lowe's...
We planned our supply needs carefully (no offense to the kind folks at Lowe's, but as a female and gay man, we thought we should be prepared so we wouldn't have to ask for help...we really like to be taken seriously whenever possible).

We entered the store and went on a whirling dervish of gathering 2x4s, drywall, masonry screws/adhesive, drywall tape, and joint compound.

L had plans with his boyfriend, I had plans with The Boyfriend...but we couldn't stop. We arrived at the house and began construction around 4 pm. By 10 pm the wall was done. Mostly done. The next day I hung the second side of dry wall and over the next week applied three coats of joint compound. But enough of my feeble tale...I'll let the photos speak for themselves!

Please do not judge us by the disorganization of our studio space...that clutter in the background is because I wouldn't organize my stuff until the room was liberated from the cats.

Me (and my double chin) chiseling the indents for the door hinges. I was a bit overzealous for my first chiseling project.

The door is hung...L peeks through.

L saws wood wearing my biker goggles from Burning Man. I really need to invest in some safety gear.
The finished frame. If you look really closely, you can see The Boyfriend in the background lending moral support.

L poses behind the finished wall with Nova...for what is the first and last time the little one will be on that side of the wall.


View from the inside out.


The wall with it's first coat of joint compound.
I'll post more pictures as the wall progresses.
Trust me, I can assure you it's lovely.

1 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

I am totally impressed. Not that I thought you couldn't do it. But you did it so quickly,and it already looks great. I can only imagine what it will look like when all the joint compound is up and you paint (or paper...but I think you are a paint kind of grrl). Def. post pictures of the finished project!

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home